What Is PDS?
PDS is an option that is being offered for Kentucky Medicaid Waiver members who are currently receiving or become eligible to receive Home and Community Based waiver (HCB) services through Kentucky’s Medicaid Waiver program. PDS allows waiver members to choose who provides their non-medical waiver services which allows them greater freedom of choice, flexibility, and control over their supports and services. Members can choose to direct all or some of their non-medical waiver services.
Who and How Can I Enroll in PDS?
PDS is available for members receiving non-medical services through the HCB, Supports for Community Living, Acquired Brain Injury, and Michelle P Waivers.
If you currently get services through the HCB, SCL, ABI or MP waiver, you can contact your current Medicaid waiver case manager and let them know you want to enroll in PDS. Your case manager will contact the Support Broker. The Support Broker will contact you to arrange a time to meet with you. They will help you enroll in PDS.
If you do not currently get waiver services, but think you might qualify, contact Buffalo Trace Area Agency on Aging, Comprehend Inc. for Michele P or SCL waiver, a Home Health Agency for HCB waiver or an Adult Day Health Center.
What is a Service Advisor?
The local Area Agencies on Aging (AAA’s) will act as Service Advisors for the PDS program. Once you choose PDS, you will no longer have a case manager through the traditional agency. The Service Advisor will act as your case manager. The Service Advisor will assist you with:
- Enrolling in PDS
- Developing your plan of care and support spending plan
- Locating service providers and negotiating rates
- Supporting you in hiring, supervising and firing your employees
- Coordinating with traditional providers
- Transitioning back to traditional services if you choose to dis-enroll from PDS
Employment / Budget Information
Will I be given a budget?
Yes. You will be given a budget amount based on past service utilization. The budget amount will be determined by Department for Medicaid Services (DMS). The budget will be used by the member to negotiate rates with employees and complete the support spending plan.
Who can I hire as my employee?
You can hire some family, friends, neighbors and provider agencies. The employee must be at least 18 years old and submit to a criminal background check. The Service Advisor will assist the member with hiring and training employees.
How will my employees be paid?
The Area Development Districts (ADD’s) will be the Financial Management Agency for PDS in Kentucky. The member will keep track of all the services done by their employee(s). A time sheet will be submitted to the Service Advisor showing what services were performed. The Financial Management Agency will pay the member’s employee(s) for providing these PDS services. The Financial management Agency will make sure all state and federal laws are met such as withholding enough money to pay for taxes and other items.
What training is required?
Members, representatives, and employees must complete training on person centered planning and self-determination. Training will be available on abuse/neglect/exploitation prevention, recognition and reporting. Employees must also complete training in First Aid and CPR. The member can also require additional training related to their specific needs.
What Are My Responsibilities if I Choose PDS?
The member has a responsibility to:
- Work with the Service Advisor to develop a Plan of Care/Support Spending Plan and an emergency back-up plan
- Hire, train, schedule and fire staff
- Follow the Plan of Care/Support Spending Plan and keep within their budget
- Choose a representative if needed or desired
- Submit paperwork on time
What if I decide I don’t want to be in PDS anymore?
The Service Advisor will work with the member to transition back to traditional services.
For additional information in the Buffalo Trace District contact:
- Caroline Ullery, Aging Director – EMAIL
- Cathie Drury, Family Caregiver Coordinator / Homecare & Title III Case Manager – EMAIL
- Whitney Sticklen, PDS Service Advisor / SCL Case Manager – EMAIL
- Amanda Grooms, District Long Care Ombudsman – EMAIL
- Diana Faulkner, PDS Service Advisor / SCL Case Manager – EMAIL
- Jennifer Boone, PDS & SCL Waiver Coordinator – EMAIL
- Chelsea Kaenzig, PDS Service Advisor / SCL Case Manager – EMAIL
- Brittney Underwood, PDS Service Advisor / SCL Case Manager – EMAIL
- Ashley Robinson, PDS Service Advisor / SCL Case Manager – EMAIL
- Kaylee Griffin, PDS Service Advisor – EMAIL
- Leah Clark, PDS Service Advisor – EMAIL
- Morgan Gardner, PDS Service Advisor – EMAIL